Recently a Microsoft reader contacted me regarding this issue. Whenever he was trying to install or uninstall a software program, he was getting following error message:
The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.This problem exists in all Windows versions and I have received many emails in past regarding the same issue. Sometimes an error code 1719 is also provided in the error message dialog box.Today in this tutorial, I’ll try to provide all possible solutions to fix this issue:
SOLUTION 1: Make Sure Windows Installer Service is Running
First of all we’ll need to check whether the required Windows Installer service is running in Windows.
1. Press WIN+R keys together to launch RUN dialog box, type services.msc and press Enter. It’ll open Service Manager.
2. Now look for Windows Installer service. Double-click on it and it'll open its properties window. Click on Start button to immediately start it.
3. Also set its Startup type to Automatic and apply changes.
SOLUTION 2: Windows Registry Fix
Sometimes a few keys and values might be corrupt or missing in Registry Editor which can cause this issue.Download following ZIP file, extract it using 7-Zip or any other file archive utility and you’ll get a .REG file. Run the REG file, it’ll ask for confirmation, accept it.
Download Registry Script to Fix Windows Installer Service Problem After merging the REG file, restart your computer to take effects.
SOLUTION 3: Re-Register Windows Installer
1. Open Command Prompt as Administrator using any method given.
2. Now type following commands one by one:
3. Restart your computer to take effects.
SOLUTION 4: Reinstall Latest Version of Windows Installer
Download and install the latest version of Windows Installer which should also fix this annoying issue.